Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group today launched the official Jesus Christ Superstar app.
Designed to enhance the entertainment experience through the second screen of an iPhone or iPad, the app is a convenient, one-stop, mobile companion for the exciting series of events coming up for the UK revival of the legendary rock classic 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.
Those events kick off this evening (7 July) with Lloyd Webber's and ITV's search for a rock star in the new, primetime TV casting show, 'Superstar', presented by Amanda Holden and judged by Lloyd Webber, Dawn French and Jason Donovan.
The winner of the ITV show will go on to perform the role of Jesus in the first ever UK arena tour of 'Jesus Christ Superstar' alongside Tim Minchin as Judas Iscariot, Melanie C as Mary Magdalene and Chris Moyles as Herod, opening at London's O2 on 21 September.
A digitally remastered version of the original 'Jesus Christ Superstar' album featuring Ian Gillan of Deep Purple (Jesus), Murray Head (Judas Iscariot) and Yvonne Elliman (Mary Magdalene) will be released on 16 July.
The official 'Jesus Christ Superstar' app's key features include:
· One view into real-time social media feeds enabling viewers to engage with friends and other fans as they watch the TV show and go on to attend the live arena events
· Real-time audience engagement at the arena events via a massive tweet wall
· Exclusive bonus track 'Could We Start Again Please?' recorded by Yvonne Elliman (this song was especially written for the 1973 movie by Tim Rice and Lloyd Webber after the release of their original 'Jesus Christ Superstar' album and will be included in the new arena show)
· Audiovisual history of 'Jesus Christ Superstar', including new interviews with the original performers on the album
· Live gossip from the TV studio and tour
· Links to downloads of performances by contestants on ITV's 'Superstar' and real-time information about the songs being performed each night
· Personalised ticket and venue information for mobile reference
· Links to official merchandise stores online enabling fans to skip the queues in arenas
Barney Wragg, managing director of the Really Useful Group, said: "To coincide with Andrew Lloyd Webber's revival of 'Jesus Christ Superstar', we've developed a new app to enable fans to become active participants as we take this iconic rock show into the 21st century.
"The app is the perfect companion to the TV show, expanding your experience with more detail on the contestants, the music they're performing and the history of the original album. The same app complements the arena tour, bringing you all the behind-the-scenes gossip and info building up to and during these massive live events - together with a free download."
The official Jesus Christ Superstar app is priced at 69p and can be purchased from the App Store.