Narratively feeble, the show doesn't end so much as just stop happening, but luckily the colourful, giddying Megamix arrives shortly afterwards to provide, at last, a taste of the elusive Spice energy, and the evening ends on an undeniable high point. It's not quite enough to make up for the staggering amount of bad jokes, clichéd characters and boring developments that have come before, but it's a welcome jolt of feel-good fun, and the audience laps it up.
A no-brainer in more ways than one, Viva Forever! doesn't exactly come heartily recommended (and could have been so much better), but should you need your life Spiced up on a winter evening and don't mind sitting through a lot of nonsense in between the hits, chances are the Piccadilly is where you wannabe.
KINKY BOOTS vs. MATILDA for Best Musical and More...
Past Articles by This Author:
Kevin Sherwin is originally from Dublin and enjoys watching Grease 2 and theatre-going. His favourite kind of musical is one with a lot of ridiculous belting and he patiently awaits news of a London production of Next to Normal. |
- BWW Reviews: RENT – 20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT TOUR, Hackney Empire, April 26 2013
- BWW Reviews: ONCE, Phoenix Theatre, April 10 2013
- BWW Reviews: MIES JULIE, Riverside Studios, March 11 2013
- BWW Reviews: VIVA FOREVER!, Piccadilly Theatre, December 20 2012
- BWW Reviews: STRAIGHT, Bush Theatre, December 5 2012
- BWW Reviews: AMERICAN IDIOT, Hammersmith Apollo, December 4 2012